Sambal Dabu-dabu is a typical sambal from Manado, North Sulawesi. Instead of make it as puree by grinding all the ingredients, it is cut into slices. Originally it is served raw as accompaniment for grilled fish (ikan bakar), such as Ikan Bakar Sambal Dabu-dabu. It’s very easy to make and fast.
This time I tried in different way. It’s nothing complicated … just need to saute for few minutes. To me it tastes better than raw one. Plus I can have it for a bit longer time. Besides grilled fish, you can also serve this Sambal Dabu-dabu with grilled/fried chicken( ex. ayam panggang, ayam goreng gurih) , fried tempe or tofu or sweet fried beef meat.
Category : Sambal
Difficulty : Easy
Cooking time : 15 minutes
– 5 red big chillies, seeded and sliced
– 5 red bird’s-eye chillies
– 6 shallots, peeled and sliced
– 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
– 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced
– 1 teaspoon salt
– a few drop of lime juice
– 4-5 tablespoons of vegetables/olive oil
1. Using the oil, saute the shallot, garlic until fragrant, then add the chillies and tomatoes. Stir fry for couple of minutes, add the salt and lime juice. Mix them well for few minutes then remove from the heat.