This is a great choice of easy tasty appetizer for your party. It’s really tasty. In Indonesia, you can find it easily in some restaurants or food stalls in the street. This is also a speciality from Semarang, a town in Central of Java.
Category : Appetizer
Difficulty : Easy
Cooking time : 15 – 30 minutes
– ½ chicken fillet or 1 chicken breast, cook until its tender, but don’t throw away the stock. Cut the meat into small pieces.
– 2 big carrots, thinned sliced
– ½ onion, chopped
– 2 cloves of garlics, chopped
– 1 tea spoon of pepper
– ½ tea spoon of sugar
– A pinch of salt or, chicken seasoning mixture if you like it
– 20 Spring Rolls Sheets (available ready-made at Chinese stores) or supermarket
1. Make the filling : Heat 3 table spoon of oil, and stir fry the onion and garlic. Then add the chicken meat, and the carrots. Pour some of the chicken stock, just enough to make the carrots tender. Add the pepper, salt, sugar and. Cook until about 10 minutes or until the carrot is tender and water absurb.
2. Make the spring rolls : Place the spring roll wrapper with one corner at the bottom so that it resembles a diamond. Brush the four edges of the wrapper with the beaten egg or water. Next, add the filling in the bottom part of the wrapper in a thin log shape, not touching the edges. Leave the bottom few centimetres clear. Lift the wrapper over the top and tuck it in under the filling. Fold over the left side, and then the right side and roll it up to form a tube. Brush a little more egg along the top part and seal the roll. Repeat until all the rolls are finished.
3. Fry the spring rolls : Once the oil is hot, deep fry the spring rolls until lightly brown, which should take only a minute or two. Put them on the towelled tray to let them drain. Serve your crispy spring rolls as an appetizer. They go wonderfully with a sweet and sour sauce and many other types of dip.