There are many ways to make grilled Chicken. This Ayam Bakar Bumbu Rujak recipe is one of them. It’s delicious and wonderfully goes with warm plain rice. I thought my husband won’t like it since it’s a bit spicy. But he did like it! If you have family members that don’t like spicy food, you can make it moderate spicy by using less chilli or you can substitute with paprika powder. Excellent meal for your lunch or dinner!
Cooking time: 60 minutes
– 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 or 10 pieces
– 500 cc coconut milk
– 1 tablespoon of vegetables oil
– 1 stalk of fresh lemon grass (Sereh)
– 6 shallots or 1 medium red onion
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 4 big red chillies, seeded
– 2 bird’s eyes chillies (if you don’t like it spicy, then skip this one)
– 5 candlenuts
– 1 cm ginger
– 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
– Salt and sugar to taste
1. Marinate the chicken with salt. Set aside
2. Preheat the oven for 180 C.
3. Blend or grind the spice paste. Set aside.
4. When the oven is ready, bake the chicken for 45 minutes. You can also grill the chicken over charcoal grill.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté the spice paste together with lemon grass until fragrant. Add the chicken, stirring well. Then add the coconut oil and continue cooking until the sauce absorbed.