Ayam Goreng Lengkuas
Ayam Goreng Lengkuas is a recipe originally from Sumatra region. I really love Padang, food (West Sumatra) and this chicken is one of the lists. And since there is no Padang restaurant here, I decided to make my own Padang menu for our lunch. I spent hours to prepare all the menus, including making this chicken. And turned out superb! The taste is just like what they have in Padang restaurant!
Ayam Goreng Lengkuas is really tasty because it is made from different exotic spices. Try it and you will want more! It is good to serve with nasi putih (plain rice), Gulai Nangka, Telor Dadar, Sambal Ijo Mudo (green chillies sambal) and prawn crackers (krupuk udang). Or just with nasi putih (plain rice) and sambal bajak or sambal terasi (shrimp paste sambal ).
Category: Poultry (Chicken)
Preparing time: 45 – 60 minutes
Servings for 4 people
– 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
– 1 stalk of Lemongrass (Sereh/Serai)
– 2 Salaam leaves (Indian Bay Leaves)
– 4 tablespoons shredded Galangal
– 3 cloves of Garlic
– 5 Shallots
– 3 Candlenuts (Kemiri), or substitute with 6 Almonds, pan-broil
– 2 teaspoon fresh Turmeric
– 1 teaspoon Tamarind (asam jawa) juice
– Salt and sugar to taste
1. Grind or blend the spice paste, use to marinate the chicken together with shredded galangal.
2. Then take deep fry pan and use to cook the marinated chicken and add some water, salam leaves and lemongrass until chicken is cooked and sauce is almost dry. Leave to cool.
3. Fry the chicken and the spices into deep fry pan with lot of oil until crisp and golden brown. When it’s done, use the tissue to absorb the oil. Set aside and serve with the crumb from the spices.