Want to have a tasty Grilled Chicken (Ayam Panggang)? Try this recipe. It’s an authentic recipe from my mother. It’s really delicious. I like it especially when it’s really spicy. Therefore you can have it less spicy, depend on how you want it.
Category : Chicken
Difficulty : Medium
Cooking time : 60 minutes
– Half chicken, cut into 4 or 5 pieces
– 750 ml water
Spice Paste :
– 5 shallots or 1 medium red onion
– 3 cloves of garlic
– 2 bird’s eyes chillies (optional, depend how spicy you want to)
– 3 or 4 big red chillies, seeded (optional, if you don’t have it, you can use 2 tablespoons of paprika powder)
– 5 candlenuts
– 1 tablespoon coriander
– 2 cm of ginger
– 2 cm of kencur
– 1 teaspoon cumin
– 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
– 1 teaspoon galangal powder (laos/lengkuas)
– 1 stalk of lemongrass
– 3 lime kaffir leaves
– Salt and sugar to taste
1. Cook the chicken into boiling water. When it cooks, take out from the broth and set aside.
2. Blend or grind all the ingredients for spice paste, except lemongrass and kaffir lime leafs.
3. Heat the oil and sauté the spice paste with lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves. Add a little of water and cook about 5 or 6 minutes (or until the water absorbed). If the sauce is not salty, add more salt. And if it’s too spicy, you can add more sugar to reduce it.
4. Prepare the grill to grill the chicken. First grill the Chicken both sides, then season with the sauce and continue grilling. Do not use all the sauce.
5. When it’s done, season with the rest of the sauce. Serve it with warm steamed white rice and cucumber.