Yellow chicken noodle or mie ayam kuning is one of my favorite. When I was still living in Indonesia, I never made it by myself since I can get it easily in some food stalls or a seller who passed by in front of the house. It’s cheap and tasty!!
Category : Noodle
Difficulty : Easy
Cooking time : 30 minutes
Yellow chicken mushroom
– 2 chicken thighs/fillet
– 150 grams fresh mushroom, cut thinly (optional)
– 2 stalks of spring onion, chopped
– 1 stalk of celery, chopped
– 1 cube chicken bouillion
– 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
Spice paste for yellow chicken mushroom
-1 shallot or 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
– 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
– 2-3 cm ginger
– 1/2 teaspoon coriander
– 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
– 1 tablespoon salty soy sauce (kecap asin)
– 2 tablespoons water
– 3 tablespoons vegetables oil
– chicken bones
– salt and pepper
– celery leaves
– 250 grams dried egg noodles, cooked and set aside
– sesame oil (optional)
– Pak choy/bak choy (green chinese cabbage) or green salad
– Meatballs (optional)
– Chicken dumplings (optional)
– Cucumber pickles
– Chilli sauce
1. Separate chicken from bones, then mince or cut into small pieces.
2. Make the broth/soup : simmer chicken bones in water to make stock/broth. When it’s boiling add salt, pepper and celery leaves. Cook for few minutes.
3. Make the yellow chicken mushroom : grind the spice paste. Heat the oil and sauté the paste until fragrant, and add the mushroom and chicken. Stir well. Then add the chicken stock, sweet soy sauce, salt (or chicken bouillion) , spring onion and chopped celery stalk (without the leaves). Continue cooking until done. You can cook until it’s dry or also with a bit of sauce (as desired).
4. Make the garlic oil : heat 2 tablespoons of oil, and then saute the garlic. Add soy sauce and water. Stir for few minutes. Set aside.
5. Serve : Set a bowl with 2 teaspoons of garlic oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Put the cooked noodle into the bowl and mix thoroughly. Then add the cooked Pak choy. Give 3 tablespoons of chicken mushroom, garnish with fried shallot, meatballs, chicken dumplings and cucumber pickles.