Crispy spiced fried Corn or Bakwan Jagung/Dadar Jagung is very simple side dish. My mom used to make it in a quite big quantity when I was still living in Surabaya. Even though nobody didn’t really eat it all because it was too much for us. Fresh corn is an inexpensive thing there. But here in Slovenia , fresh corn is expensive and also rare to get (only seasonal). So to make it I had to use canned corn. Besides as a side dish with other meal, you can also enjoy Bakwan Jagung as a snack.
Category : Vegetables
Difficulty : Easy
Cooking time : 15 – 30 minutes
- 150 gram canned corn
- 1 egg
- 50 gram plain flour
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 stalk of spring onion
- 3 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 red chillies
- 2 bird’s eyes chillies (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of coriander
- 1 cm Kaempferia galanga L (kencur) – optional
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- salt and sugar to taste
1. Blend or grind all the ingredients for spice paste. Then add the corn, and continue blending (grinding). I like to grind the corn roughly, not so smooth.
2. Put the mixture into a bowl, and then add the flour, celery, spring onion and egg. Mix it well.
3. Heat the oil in deep wok, and fry 1 tablespoon of mixture until slightly brown.
Tips : you can add some fresh small prawn into the mixture to give it more flavour.