This Tumis Kacang Panjang recipe is really simple, yet delicious and can be eaten with other side dishes. As Indonesian’s way to eat, we mostly eat with rice, some vegetables and meat. This time I made with tofu for additional ingredients. You can use tempe instead of tofu as well or other meat like shrimp/prawn, or beef. And this dish is actually combination of vegetables and meat, because tofu and tempe is also considering as a substitute for the meat.
Preparing time: 30 minutes
Serving for 4 people
– 250 g long beans (kacang panjang)
– 200 g white tofu, cut into small cubes
– 2 green chillies, seeded and thinly cut
– 6 shallots, thinly chopped
– 4 cloves of garlic, thinly chopped
– 2 Salaam leaves (or you can substitute with Bay leaf)
– 3 cm fresh galangal (Laos)
– 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
– Salt to taste
– 200 ml water or you can use beef or chicken broth
1. Fry the tofu, but don’t do it too much/too dry. Set aside
2. Sauté shallots, garlic and the green chillies in the oil until they are fragrant. Then add the galangal, salaam leaves, and the broth/water.
3. When the water is boiling, add the long beans and tofu. And give the rest of ingredients (salt and sweet soy sauce). Continue cooking until the long beans is cooked.