Rempeyek is a traditional cracker made from rice flour and coconut milk. It usually served as an accompaniment for nasi pecel. It’s crispy and delicious. There are many ways to make it crispy, some using coconut milk with stone lime water (air kapur sirih) while other is using an egg. To make rempeyek you can use peanuts, red soya beans, dried anchovies (ikan teri) or kedele (other type of soya beans).
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 50 gram red soya beans (or peeled peanuts)
- 100 gram rice flour
- 100 ml thick Coconut milk
- 100 ml of water
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 Candlenuts (Kemiri)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cm of fresh turmeric (1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder)
- 3 fresh Kaffir Lime leafs (daun jeruk purut)
- salt to taste
1. Grind or blend the spice paste, then add the flour, coconut milk and water. Mix them well.
2. Heat the oil in the wok, take 1 tablespoon of mixture and give few red soya beans and fry (look at the picture)
3. Fry both sides until it slightly brown, set aside (use some tissue paper to absorb the oil)
4. You can store it in closed can or jar so it will stay for couple of days. It is good to serve with pecel or as a snack.