Tahu isi or fried stuffed tofu is a light snack made from tofu and vegetables. You can easily find this snack in every food stalls that are selling snacks along the street in Indonesia. Here’s the recipe if you want to make it yourself. It’s easy and doesn’t need so much time to cook.
Category : Appetizer
Difficulty : Easy
Cooking time : 15 – 30 minutes
– 6 medium tofu, each of them cut into triangle, fried half done
– 150 gram of minced beef/chicken/prawn
– 2 carrots cut into small cubes
– 1 medium onion, finely chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
– pepper to taste
– salt to taste or 1/2 beef seasoning cube
For Flour Mixture
– 100 g of flour
– 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
– 1 teaspoon coriander, pan-broil
– 3 candlenuts
– 2 cm kaempferia galanga (kencur)
– 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
– salt to taste
– 125 ml water
1. Heat the oil in deep wok and fry the tofu until brown in both sides. Set aside. When they are already cold, scoop out the middle part to make a hole for filling.
2. Make the filling: in remaining oil, stir fry the onion and garlic. Add the meat, stir well until brown. Then put carrots inside. Pour some water, just enough to make the carrots tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. When it is about to be done, mix corn flour with small water and pour it to the filling to make it thicker. Cook until about 10 minutes or until water is absorbed.
3. Take a spoon of it and stuff it into the hole of tofu one by one until all is done. Put it aside.
4. Make the flour mixture : In a small bowl mix all ingredients. Add a little water if necessary.
5. Dip the stuffed tofu into flour mixture before frying it (to get crunchy skin).
6. Deep fry stuffed tofu under medium heat until brownish.