This is a dish that originally from the biggest island in East Java called Madura. Javanese beef soup or Soto Daging Madura is tasty, yet very fresh. It’s a perfect menu either for a lunch or dinner. It would be better to serve with plain rice (nasi putih) or compressed rice (lontong).
Category : Soup
Difficulty : Medium
Cooking time : 30 – 45 minutes
- 250 g beef meat ( you can also combain with other part as well such as liver, heart, lung, brain)
- 1 stalk of spring onion
- 1 stalk of celery leaf
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- Salt to taste or 1 sdm beef stock powder or 1/2 cube of beef bouillon
- Sugar to taste
- 750 ml water, you can add more if you like (until the meat tender)
- 5 shallots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon shredded fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Fried shallots (Bawang Merah goreng) for garnish
- 1 lime
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 25 gr soun (bean thread noodles), simmer in hot water to make it softer
- 2 garlic, thinly sliced and fried to give more taste (optional)
1. Simmer beef in water about 20 minutes, Then take it from the stock, sliced it into small pieces and put it back into stock.
2. Heat 1 tbs. vegetable oil in a wok with medium heat. Stir fry the paste, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves for a minute or two until fragrant.
3. Then put the fried paste, salt or beef stock and sugar into the broth. Cook and covered over medium heat until the meat tender. Add more water if it’s necessary. Meanwhile, add the celery leaf, spring onion and the fried garlic (crushed it into small pieces).
4. Serve the soup hot, garnished with soun (bean thread noodles), egg, fried shallots and lime slices. Eat with plain rice (nasi putih)
Note : if you want to make the soup thicker, just add 1 tablespoon of rice, simmer to water for sometimes, drain, then grind and mix it with the soup