For spicy food lover, this Ayam bumbu rujak can be a perfect choice. When I was still in Surabaya,¬† my aunt used to make it very spicy … that would make my nose watering. She really didn’t have any doubt when she put the chillies, hehe … Yet different kind of chillies are easy to find in Indonesia and also cheaper. While here, I am lucky if I could find one.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
– 500 g chicken
– Salt and pepper to marinate the chicken
– 2 Salam leafs/Indian Bay Leaves(or you can use bay leafs)
– 1 stalk of lemongrass
– Vegetables oil for frying
– 5 shallots
– 5 cloves of garlic
– 5 Candlenuts
– 5 red chillies, seeded and sliced (you can use paprika powder if you don’t have it)
– 2 bird’s eyes chillies (or use chilli powder)
– 1 tomato, sliced
– 1 cm Galangal (Laos)
– Salt and sugar to taste
1. Cut the chicken into 8 pieces, marinate with salt and pepper, then fry them. Set aside.
2. In remaining oil, saut√© the spice paste together with salam leaves and lemongrass until fragrant. Add the chicken, stirring well. Then add a little of water and continue cooking until the spice absorbed.