For spicy food lover, this Ayam bumbu rujak can be a perfect choice. When I was still in Surabaya, my aunt used to make it very spicy … that would make my nose watering. She really didn’t have any doubt when she put the chillies, hehe … Yet different kind of chillies are easy to find in Indonesia and also cheaper. While here, I am lucky if I could find one.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
– 500 g chicken
– Salt and pepper to marinate the chicken
– 2 Salam leafs/Indian Bay Leaves(or you can use bay leafs)
– 1 stalk of lemongrass
– Vegetables oil for frying
– 5 shallots
– 5 cloves of garlic
– 5 Candlenuts
– 5 red chillies, seeded and sliced (you can use paprika powder if you don’t have it)
– 2 bird’s eyes chillies (or use chilli powder)
– 1 tomato, sliced
– 1 cm Galangal (Laos)
– Salt and sugar to taste
1. Cut the chicken into 8 pieces, marinate with salt and pepper, then fry them. Set aside.
2. In remaining oil, sauté the spice paste together with salam leaves and lemongrass until fragrant. Add the chicken, stirring well. Then add a little of water and continue cooking until the spice absorbed.