Siomay, in Indonesian cuisine, is a light meal which is similar in form to the Chinese Dim Sum, shaped like an ice cream cone, except the bottom is flat. It is traditionally made from mackerel fish meat served with peanut sauce. Sometimes the main ingredient can be made from prawn or other fish. One famous variety of Siomay is siomay Bandung. In which the Siomay is eaten with a peanut paste, sweet soy sauce and a dash of lime juice. Other complements to siomay Bandung are steamed cabbage, steamed potatoes, steamed bitter gourd and steamed tofu. Here I made my own creation of Siomay since some ingredients I don’t have it.
Category : Appetizer
Difficulty : Easy
Cooking time : 45 – 60 minutes
* Base Ingredients
- 2 Chicken fillet
- 250 gram shrimp, cleaned
- 100 gram tapioca flour
- 50 gram sticky rice flour (tepung ketan) – optional
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
-1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
** Other Ingredients
- 10 piece of springroll/won ton skin (I used ready-used strudel skin, then cut into 10 X 10 cm)
- 4 tofu
- 2 boiled eggs (optional)
- 4 medium size potatoes
- 5 pieces of cabbage leaves
- Sweet soy soya ( kecap manis )
- Tomato Ketchup
- 100 gram fried peanut
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 red chillies or 1 tablespoon of chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 2 tablespoon of brown sugar (you can use white sugar if you don’t have it)
- 100 ml water
1. Mix all the basic ingredients to make a filling
2. Place 1 teaspoon of filling in the center of won ton skin. Hold it between the index finger and thumb, gather edged together to make a waist.
3. Cut tofu in half, make a hole in the middle and fill it with the filling.
4. Cabbage : Dip the leaves into boiling water for few seconds, just to make it softer. Set aside, then fill each of them with filling.
5. Steamed all of them ( including potatoes) until well done.
6. Make the sauce : Fry the garlic and the chillies. Then grind or blend with the rest of ingredients to make a paste. Then add the water, cook with low heat and stir well until the sauce is thick.
7. Serve my cutting all the steamed dumplings into small pieces, also the boiling egg. Then pour sauce on the top and add a little sweet soy sauce (kecap manis), tomato ketchup and lime juice on top. It’s also good to serve with cucumber pickles.