Rice noodles are noodles that are made from rice flour and water. However, sometimes other ingredients such as tapioca or corn starch are also added in order to improve the transparency or increase the gelatinous and chewy texture of the noodles. Rice noodles are most commonly used in the cuisines of East and Southeast Asia, and are available fresh, frozen, or dried, in various shapes and thickness. They are many varieties of rice noodle, and one of them is Rice Vermicelli which is a part of several Asian cuisines, where they are often eaten as part of a soup dish, stir fry, or salad.
This recipe is made by using Rice Vermicelli as the main ingredients. It’s called bihun goreng.
Category : Noodle
Difficulty : Easy
Cooking time : 15 – 20 minutes
- 250 gram dried rice vermicelli, cooked and set aside
- 150 gram small prawns
- 1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 stalk spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- white china cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 medium red paprika, sliced diagonally
1. To make the rice noodle soft and tender, Place the noodles in a heatproof bowl and pour with boiling water. Drain.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Make the scramble egg. Set aside.
3. Heat the remaining oil in the wok over a medium-high heat. Fry the prawns, but don’t make them too dry. Set aside.
4. Still with the remaining oil in same wok, fry the onion and garlic until fragrance. Then add spring onion, cabbage, red paprika and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until just tender. After that, add the rice noodles, sweet soy sauce, oyster sauce and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Then add the prawn and scrambled egg. Stir together.
4. Serve fried rice noodle with fresh cucumber.
Note : You can add other vegetable as well, such as carrot. And if you want to make egg as decoration, just fry the egg like a pancake, but thin. Then wait until it is cold before you roll and slice it into small pieces.