Young jack fruit curry, or Gulai Nangka Padang, is a typical dish from Padang,West Sumatra. If you ever go to Padang or Minang restaurant, they usually have this as one of their main menu. It’s really delicious vegetables curry, especially if you serve it with other side dishes such as fried chicken or fish.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serving for 4 people
- 250 g young jackfruit (nangka muda), chopped into 2 cm cubes
- 150 g long beans (kacang panjang), cut into 4-5 cm
- 150 g beef meat or 2 beef bones to make the broth
- 250 ml thick coconut milk
- 250 water
- 2 turmeric leafs – optional
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves (daun jeruk purut)
- 1 stalk Lemon grass (Sereh/Serai), chopped or 2 teaspoons of lemon grass powder
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 shallots
- 5 red chillies, seeded
- 2 bird’s eyes chillies, optional
- 2 cm fresh turmeric or 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 candlenuts (Kemiri)
- 1 cm ginger
- 1 cm galangal or 1/2 teaspoon of galangal powder
1. Boil the meat or bones with 250 ml water to make the broth.
2. Grind or blend the spice paste. Then sauté until it’s fragrant and adds kaffir lime leaves, lemon grass and turmeric leaf (if you have it). Then bring it to the broth and add the coconut milk.
3. When it’s boiling, put inside all the vegetables. Continue cooking until the vegetables well-cooked.