Tofu or Indonesian calls ‘Tahu’ is a popular food ingredient in Indonesia. Not just it has low in calories, but it is also cheap. Tofu contains beneficial amounts of iron (especially important for women of child-bearing age) and has no saturated fat or cholesterol. Depending on the coagulant used in manufacturing, the tofu may also be high in calcium (important for bone development and maintenance), and magnesium (especially important for athletes). It is also contains soy isoflavones, which can mimic natural human estrogens and may have a variety of harmful or beneficial effects when eaten in sufficient quantities.
There are plenty ways to cook tofu. You can either fry or steam it. This Kering Tahu recipe is simple and fast to make. If you are a vegetarian, this menu is can be a perfect menu for your
Cooking time: 15 – 30 minutes
– 250 g White Tofu/Tahu
– 2 big red Chillies
– 2 bird’s eyes Chillies-optional
– 2 cloves of Garlic, chopped
– 2 Shallots or half medium red Onion, chopped
– 1 cm of fresh Galangal (Lengkuas/Laos), chopped
– 3 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce
– 100 ml water
– Salt and sugar to taste
1. Cut tofu into small cube then fry half done.
2. In remaining oil, sauté the shallot, garlic, chillies and galangal until fragrant. Then add tofu, sweet soy sauce and water. Give salt and sugar to taste. Cook until the sauce absorbed.