Urap-urap Sayur is a traditional meal, I don’t know where it originally comes from, probably from Central of Java. Therefore, this meal is also popular in other regions, such as in East Java and Bali. In Bali it is known as Lawar. It contains of different kind cooked vegetables like bean sprouts, long bean, cabbage, cassava leaf, basil, etc. Then combine with granted coconut with some spices. It usually serves as side dish and can be eaten with Plain Rice (nasi putih) with other dish like for example Sate Lilit Bali
Cooking time: 30 minutes
– 100 g bean sprouts
– 100 g cabbage, shredded
– 50 g green bean (buncis), cut into 2 cm long
– 100 g spinach, cut into 2 or 3 cm long
– 200 g fresh/dry grated coconut
– 4 cloves of garlic
– 3 red chillies, seeded
– 2 bird’s eyes chillies
– 2 cm Kencur (Kaempferia galanga), peeled and sliced
– 50 g Palm sugar
– 4 fresh Kaffir Lime leafs, very finely shredded
– Salt to taste
1. Grind or blend all spice paste ingredients.
2. Heat oil and sauté the spice paste until fragrant. Pour a bit of water (around 50 ml). Then add the grated coconut, mix it well for few minutes, then set aside.
3. Cook all the vegetables, set aside and cool them off.
4. Serve: Combine the vegetables with the spiced grated coconut.
Step by step with pictures, click here